Skip to main content

Stay, Don’t Fade Away

Stay,
I hear the whisper in my ear.
With a start I wake up and sit up with a jolt.  Her voice still haunts me. I still remember that dark night when I had to leave her.

I get myself out of bed and walk to the small kitchen right outside the bedroom. I make myself a cup of coffee and walk towards the large window overlooking the street. On the ground hundreds of New Yorkers mill around, heading to their destination like a robot following the same routine day after day.

I check the time on my FitBit: 6:30 AM, I should start getting ready for work. I take a quick shower and change into a navy blue shirt, denims, loafers and take a leather jacket for the colder evenings. I clean my spectacles one last time and then pick up my phone from the charging stand. It’s been a year and I still check my phone everyday for her message. I take one last look and survey my two bedroom apartment and leave. I take the subway and put on my earphones for the most part of the journey. The first song in my queue is “Let Her Go” by Passenger. I can't forget her even when I listen to music.

When I enter the lobby at The Times ,where I work as a senior editor, the boss’ secretary, Lisa, tells me, “Mr. Pullman wanted to talk to you as soon as possible.” I reply, “Okay, I'll check with him in a minute or two.”
I enter my office and drape my jacket on my chair. I then go to my boss, Albert Pullman, we had become friends over the past year, he understood what happened with me and was kind enough to let me take a month off.

“Hi, you asked for me?” I asked as I entered his office. He sat behind his desk and was checking his phone. Albert or Al was a big man, sturdy built with one of those well-toned bodies that showed how much of a fitness freak he was.

“Yes, Damon, I’ve got something for you. Come on, man! Take a seat.” He said in his deep booming voice

I took a seat and asked him, “So, what happened?”

“You have to mentor an intern.”

“Seriously? Do I have to?”

“Yes, she’s smart, hard-working and intelligent. She’ll learn fast, you shouldn’t have any problem.”

“So it’s a she. I think I know where this is headed.”

“She’s 21 you’re 22, you’ll get along easily. I need you to take time off Janice. As a friend, I think you should be distracted from past memories”

“I don’t know, Albert, after her I don’t think I’ve got the ability left to construct new friendships again.”

“Please, Damon, I can't see you suffer longer.” He said with emotion in his voice. He was a great friend and I considered myself fortunate to have someone like him behind me.

I said reluctantly, “Okay, I'll give it a shot.”

“Thank you.”

As I started to leave I told him, “Thanks for reminding me that you’re older now, reach 30 and you’ll lose your mind.” I said with a wink before slipping away.

I make my way back to my office and sit down at my desk. I consider making myself a brief cup of coffee from the coffee machine on the counter in the attached kitchenette but decide against it. A job as a senior editor at one of the top media companies in the world has it's own perks. Mine included an Ikea kitchenette and my own desk setup. I open one of the drawers to take out my work-only MacBook. I pick up the laptop and see the picture of her kept in the drawer. I quickly close it before I lose myself in old memories. I open my Mac and check my email for mail from my team.

I’m working on a project sent to me by one of the team under me, Jason Spence. There is a knock on my door and I call out, “Come in”

A young woman around my age enters the gate and asks, “Mr. Lane? I’m Jane Blake, Mr. Pullman instructed me to meet you.” She had a soft voice.

“Are you the new intern?”

“Yes, sir”

I figured Al would want me to be amiable so I tried to act friendly.

“No need for formalities, we’re nearly the same age. Call me Damon”

“Yes, sir”

“Take a seat”

"Thank you", she says in her sweet voice that I was so getting used to by the minute

She was petite with long curly hair, brown eyes and a face that bordered on cute and serious. She was wearing a sweater and jeans with a muffler. I could tell that she was one of the few girls that have the privilege of not caring about their looks... She was naturally beautiful.

I get up and start towards my coffee machine kept on a slab nearby.

"So, would you like coffee or tea?" I ask her

"No, thank you, sir" she says politely

"Okay, I can see that you're someone who respects morals the most. Is there anything I can do to get you to call me by my name? "Sir" makes me feel old." I exclaims

"I'm sorry... Damon" she says slowly as if slowly trying out the word.

"Okay, now that we're past that, let me show you the working of this company"

To be continued...

Comments

Post a Comment